Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Ralph Aldhous - Recent Photos


Trev Teasdel  Quite a few have posted the ford but that's a nice angle on it - anyone for Cross country!

Ralph Aldhous I think I used to miss that bit out if I could, sometimes I missed most of it out...


Trev Teasdel That's a great view Ralph, just as I remember it. Presumably taken nearby the school - and a view that we haven't got! Remember cycling up, open fire near the quarry, opening bake bean cans with a pen knife - beans tasting of smoke!


Rosemary Webb Rehill  Sooo beautiful! that's from Six Ashes looking down to Neen Savage. The bungalow on the left was built by a man who had a heart attack shortly after he built it.


Texas Dave McGarry That hill was freedom.. such great memories of Clee Hill. And Trev, I can still taste the diesel smoke on the sausages.


Ralph Aldhous Bang on Rosemary. There's a little car park there now. If I go back again I'll take one from up near the swimming pool where I used to look at it. This view still haunts me even though I can see a different view of Clee Hill from near where I live. I used to love going up there with a packed lunch and throw rocks into bottomless lake.


From - A Shropshire Lad

Into my heart an air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?

That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A E Housman


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Shropshire_Lad






Ralph Aldhous
Who remembers the name of the Vicar. Big chap with a beard and a black cassock?


Trev Teasdel I remember him clearly but not his name. It looks narrower than I remember! In the middle of prayers he would say 'Now let us pray'! And then there was the Te Deum!


Steve Webb His name was the Reverend Haywood-Waddington


Peter Lund I remember volunteering to pump the organ so I could leave ahead of the rest of the school and have a ciggy on the way !


Paul Nicholas Williamson Peter did that in 1962/3 pumping the organ up at Nene, ringing the ten minute bell then the five minute bell, but the best one was getting the incense going at Cleobury behind the organ with John Tearse and having a fag under the smell of the incense, didn't smoke much in those days but the thrill of doing something dam stupid was par for the course in those days.I was told not to swing the incense but I did and to this day I don't understand how it didn't come out onto the coconut matting, didn't do that again.nut matting up the main aisle of the church, by swinging it I mean over the head job, the full monty.


Sarah Williams The Vicar was called Heddy-Waddy because that's what the infant Jonti Rowland called him. H-W had a train set with a large track layout in the vicarage attic.


Ralph Aldhous Haywood Waddington. Thanks. I had forgotten. I remember him saying 'Holy, holy, holy; Lord god of Sabbath...'


Trev Teasdel Apparently the church used to have a spire " The church is ancient but good; and has a tower, formerly surmounted by a spire, which was destroyed by lightning in 1825."

No comments:

Post a Comment