Monday, February 6, 2012

School Trip - "Mullers' are not for eating"

Muller England with its headquarters at Cleobury Mortimer, South Shropshire, was a rapidly expanding engineering company manufacturing precision machined components and assemblies for both the Domestic and Export markets primarily servicing the Automotive, Hydraulic, Electrical, Medical, Defence and Dental Industries.  http://www.muller-england.co.uk/index.html

The company was originally established in England in 1926 by its Swiss parent. In 1993 the company underwent a Management Buy Out since when it has remained a wholly owned private company. Since the MBO the company has tripled its turnover and has developed its export sales to 20% of its turnover.

Cleobury Mortimer is a multi-disciplined site running Rotary Transfer Machines, Multi Spindle and Single Spindle automatics. Housed together on this 8 acre site is the supplementary machining facility and welding cell. The company has operated in the UK for over 75 years and has for many years been at the forefront of the precision machining industry.


Some former pupils remember school trips to Mullers.

From The Boarder - Issue 4 July 1961

" 8th June 1961 - The 3rd year paid a visit to Mullers precision Tool factory in Cleobury Mortimer. They collected in their wanderings several specimens of the firm's manufactures and appeared to enjoy themselves. One canny teacher is reported to have taken a lighter to have repaired free of charge!"


Sarah Williams Mullers - I still have an old Black Magic box of small metal parts which I collected when I worked there for a holiday job. As we sorted and checked the boxes full of screws, spindles, whatever, odd ones would fall into my overall pocket. It was probably a very skilled job - for which I had no aptitude whatever.

Pic - John Tearse
Charles Joyce  The Mullers school visit was part of my CSE module in Geography subject . the teacher as I recall Mr "Taffy" Powell, another Welshman. His wife , a tall lady, was a school nurse. The factory tour was quite brief. The machines were autolathes, produced very small precision parts, Mr Place ( woodwork teacher) informed me Mullers moved to UK from Switzerland just before the war ,so it didn't get in hands of Germans........

During my engineering career and travels I came across a toolbox or a Muller parts storage box, it has the Muller and Cleobury Mortimer pressed steel name in the lid, when I discovered this box of scrap in the skip, my eyes lit up with delight to see another gem from my school days, I still have the box in question in my workshop , as you probably realised by now, I am a bit of a hoarder. I shall try to get a photo on the school web site.

This was the sample of items Mullers made which they gave us on our visit.
Anybody else remember this?

Best Regards
John Tearse


More on Mullers in The Cleobury Chronicles available from the Cleobury Mortimer History society - here http://www.cleoburymortimerhistory.co.uk/chronicles.html



Pic  - John Tearse

The following Photos are from Charles Joyce











1 comment:

  1. It's funny the sort of items you keep - I recall the class visit to Mullers in the village.

    Indeed I still have the circular display piece as shown here - suppose I must have believed that one or more of the items may have come in handy in my future life, but have to say the item and contents are still complete and "as is" from the day I received it - a nice keep sake

    Original M28

    ReplyDelete