Thursday, March 20, 2014

Classroom scene with Mr Langley c 1956 and the Bridge at Ron Hill.

Graham Clark added this to the City of Coventry School facebook page. After some discussion they arrived at the conclusion that it was teacher mr langley in the photo. Graham Clark is front, middle - Blount 37.


Graham Clark also added this recent photo of the bridge near Ron Hill -


This bridge was both part of the Cross Country run ( if you didn't have to go through the river!) and where "The Bridge has been rebuilt since our time there. There is now steps up to the bridge as you can see in the picture where as before it was just a style type fence with which I tripped on the top rung and broke my arm (.Had a devil of a job to get me to the car to go to Kidderminster Hospital. Bottom of Ron Hill" Says Graham.

NEW ADDITIONS - VISITING DAYS
A couple of photos of Graham and his parents on Visiting day 1958 on Clee Hill, feeding the sheep.



Graham Clark Used to look forward to parents visiting day. Here a pictures of me on Clee Hill feeding the sheep, Spring 1958. Think we had a old Austin 7 in those days.

Pic of an Austin 7


Paul Rees There was Visiting day (Viso as we called it) per half term if my memory serves me. About every 6 weeks. Coaches came from pool Meadow in Cov for those not driving over.

Sarah Williams I remember visiting days because sometimes Dad had to be on duty and also because we couldn't make such free use of the school grounds.

Rosemary Webb Rehill Yes it was always a Sunday. I liked them because we got cream cakes from Onions. I disliked them because the coaches parked in the driveway and people could see into the living room!! Lol

Sarah Williams Thats why I remember the coaches! Somehow I forgot the cream cakes. Were they ordered for the visitors?

Rosemary Webb Rehill Yes, it was always the same menu. Ham salad followed by cream cakes. I never liked the pink ham with the strip of fat.... Ick!!!!

Stephen Donald I only remember them once a term, but I never got visitors so that maybe the reason I don't remember them too well. I remember one visiting day where 2 teachers took me and another lad out for the day, I think it was Mr Lovatt and Mr Thomas. Another time was having a meal with Mr Webb and his family, maybe Rosemary will remember that. And of course as I mentioned in an earlier post, when I volunteered to let people throw sponges at my face.

Trev Teasdel Stephen's mention of "Sponges" reminded me that on one of the last Visos before I left in 67, the parents / Teachers association organised a fund raiser for the school via stalls on the playground during Viso. My parents were on the PTA and I remember we did a stall near the Assembly hall that day instead of going out and about.

Tim Naylor Yep Trev they did the same thing in the early 70 s, Mick Chopping did a spin the wheel stall, with good prizes....top prize...a bottle of Matteus rose wine...how things have changed....lol

Sarah Williams Someone used to get crockery seconds, whole but unglazed, from Stoke on Trent for a smash the plates stall.

Rosemary Webb Rehill Stephen I don't remember you coming to tea but I know it happened every now and again. My parents were very kind, loving people.

Stephen Donald They were lovely people as I remember, especially considering I was a cause of inconvenience when I ran away.


No comments:

Post a Comment