Friday, August 19, 2011

Mr J. Lowe - Deputy Head in 1950's

Above John Lowe as Head of Willenhall Wood Junior School from c 1960 to 1976
Photos from Willenhall Virtual Museum. Well worth a visit if  you lived or knew Willenhall
John Lowe was the Deputy Head in the 1950's - there at least as early 1951. In the early 60's he was Head Teacher at Willenhall Wood Junior school in Coventry, where I went to until July 1962. It was on the suggestion of John Lowe that my parents sent me to Cleobury.  Trev Teasdel

From the Coventry Telegraph

Mr J Lowe
 Mr John Lowe - A FORMER Coventry headmaster who loved the outdoor life has died, aged 90. (2003)

John Lowe, who served for 23 years at Willenhall Wood Primary School, in St James Lane, died at Warwick Hospital. 

Mr Lowe, who was born in Cleethorpes, taught at Coventry Boarding School, in Cleobury Mortimer, Shropshire, for 15 years, where he became deputy head, then joined Willenhall Wood Primary School, where he retired from in 1976. 

Mr Lowe, who was a chairman and president of Willenhall Wood Community Association, enjoyed Scottish dancing, travel and photography and was a chairman of Coventry Mountaineering Club and led walking trips to Greece. 

A Sky Blues season ticket holder, he went to the gym at Coventry Sports Centre every morning until last July. 

Mr Lowe never married and lived in Willenhall Wood until a few years ago, when he moved to Kenilworth Court, near the War Memorial Park, Coventry. 

Paying tribute, Barry Smith, to whom Mr Lowe had been a mentor at Coventry Boarding School, said: "He was a fantastic guy and had been an educator of kids all his life." The funeral will take place at Cannon Hill Chapel, Canley, Coventry, on January 9. 
SKY BLUES FAN: John Lowe at 81

John Lowe - head of  Willenhall Wood Junior and before that  Deputy head of City of Coventry Boarding school
Also from the Willenhall Virtual Museum - "John Lowe, the headmaster of Willenhall Wood school and a friend of the Men's  Group  introduced them to day outings into the countryside;  the first one being to Wyre Forest in 1969.  Weekend trips to Corris, Wales; followed in 1971."

And here's a photo of John Lowe from 1951 when he was deputy head at the City of Coventry Boarding school - from a school trip to Golden Cup in Dorset.




John Lowe (sometimes called Joe Lowe) was Steve Lowe's uncle and Steve got in contact with me in 2020 wanting to know more about John and his time at the school. Vince Holliday (who went on to form the first Coventry Rock n Roll band The Vampires and found Friars Promotions - the major Coventry entertainment agency) responded.

Vince Holliday said:  "I am now 85 and apparently one of the schools oldest surviving pupils, Thankfully, the old brain cells are still in good working order but I must admit I do get occasions when things get a bit foggy, however, I'll do my best to provide you with memories of my 5 yrs with your uncle John. He was one of the most popular teachers along with another tutor called Mr Musgrove, there was a total of 11 teachers during the time that I was there, 8 just average and one who was a right swine and ruled with a cane & slipper, his name was Mr Lambley and he was hated by everyone. Your uncle was like a father to us, caring, patient, and always fare, and I honestly can't recall him ever hitting any of the pupils , he always preceded to take away privileges like missing the weekly film show or being confined to the school grounds at the weekend. If he ever noticed anyone feeling depressed or home sick he would sit and talk to them and would quite often arrange soccer or cricket matches. He was also a scoutmaster and keen on outdoor activities so he would take groups out into the nearby forest on in his car to neighbouring towns such as Ludlow. His main subject was woodwork and he & my father would could often be found having a chat on visiting day because my father was the foreman of a woodworking machine company and would bring different samples of wood for your uncle to examine. As far as I can recall Mr Lowe also taught writing and arithmetic and was a keen sportsman. There was 5 dormitories named after areas I Coventry ... Earlsdon, Radford, Gosford, Stoke, and Bablake, Bablake was just half the size of the other 4 and your uncle was house master of Bablake where I was accommodated during my 5 yrs, the larger ones slept around 50 pupils and Bablake just 25, so there was more of a brotherly atmosphere and we were able to take any problems or concerns to your uncle always knowing that he would listen to us. It wasn't until recently that I discovered that his name was John as we always knew him as Joe Lowe.  I assume that you are aware that the school now has it's own website, this should prove quite helpful to you in the event of seeking other information on its history. I have only recently discovered that Mr Lowe became headmaster of a school here in Coventry, had I have realised this I would have certainly paid him a visit, and as I have now been living in Earlsdon  since retirement in 2001 I have recently become aware that he spent his final days in a rest home that is within walking distance to where I am now living, another opportunity that I missed for visiting him.   Hope this information proves of assistance to you."

No comments:

Post a Comment